Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Python Software Foundation - SfePy : GSoC 2013 : Week 1



Hello Pythonistas,

I am Ankit and this week I kickstarted my GSoC 2013 Project - Enhancing the solver to simulate solid-liquid phase change phenomenon in convective-diffusive situations. I am a dual-degree undergrad pursuing my masters in phase-change material simulation.


Previously I had worked on the post processor of Abaqus, a commercial software, in my internship and always dreamed of working on a solver. Surely it was an honour when I was given a chance to work on SfePy as my GSoC project.

This project is pursued under :



"Briefly, SfePy is a software for solving systems of coupled partial differential equations (PDEs) by the finite element method in 2D and 3D. It can be viewed both as black-box PDE solver, and as a Python package which can be used for building custom applications. The word 'simple' means that complex FEM problems can be coded very easily and rapidly."

This week ended with:
  • Finalizing the weak form of the equations to be implemented.
  • Tinkering with the examples and code-base to know the entire architecture which is very modular and powerful.
I realised that lots of challenges are awaiting ahead, but the interesting part is that SfePy falls under the umbrella organisation - Python Software Foundation 

And you know I Love Python!

So the adventure has already begun ... 

Up Next: Energy Equation Implemented

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment will be sent for moderation.